Heart of Ukraine Ministries
Statement of Faith
1. Scripture - We base all of our beliefs and shape all of our practices on the Bible. The Holy Bible was written by men divinely inspired and it is Godís revelation of Himself to man. It is a perfect treasure of divine instruction. It has God for itís author, salvation for itís ending, and truth, without any mixture of error, for itís matter. Therefore all scripture is totally true and trustworthy.
2. God - We believe there is one and only one living and true God. He is an intelligent, spiritual and personal Being. He is infinite and perfect. He reveals Himself to us as a Father, Son and Holy Spirit, with distinct personal attributes, but without division of nature, essence, or being. God is all powerful and all knowing; and His perfect knowledge extends to all things, past, present, and future. To Him we owe the highest love, reverence, and obedience.
A. God the Father - God as Father reigns with providential care over His universe, His creatures, and the flow of the stream of human history according to the purposes of His grace. He is all powerful, all knowing, all loving, and all wise. God is Father in truth, to those who become children of God through faith in Jesus Christ.
B. God the Son - Christ is the eternal Son of God. We believe the Lord Jesus is completely and utterly unique. He alone is the One Mediator between God and man. We rely on the historic facts of His virgin birth, His sinless life, His miracles, His vicarious and atoning death, and His bodily resurrection. Through His substitutionary death on the cross He made provision for the redemption of men from sin. After a time on earth in His glorified body, Jesus ascended into heaven and is now exalted at the right hand of God. Jesus is Godís ultimate and final revelation to the world. We eagerly anticipate His return in power and glory.
C. God the Holy Spirit - The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God, fully divine. He inspired holy men of old to write the Scriptures. Through His illumination men are able to understand truth and Godís word. He exalts Christ. He convicts men of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment. He calls men to the Savior Jesus Christ, and effect regeneration. He baptizes every believer into the Body of Christ. He cultivates Christian character, comforts believers, and bestows the spiritual gifts to believers by which they serve God through His church. He enlightens and empowers the believer and the church in worship, evangelism and service.
3. Humanity - We believe man is the special creation of God, made in His own image. He created them male and female as the crowning work of His creation. God created each human being with an eternal soul. Exercising their free will, our ancestors sinned against God and brought sin into the human race. Sin corrupts and destroys the human creatures of God. Sin separates us from the Holy and Sinless God. Only the grace of God through Jesusí death for our sins, and our acceptance of that eternal gift, can we be brought into holy fellowship with God, and only then can we fulfill the creative purpose He has for our lives. The sacredness of human personality is evident in that God created man in His own image, and in that Christ died for men; therefore, every person of every race and every nation possess full dignity and is worthy of respect and Christian love.
4. Salvation - All people need to be saved from sin and its eternal consequences. It involves the redemption of the whole man, and is offered freely to all who request forgiveness of their sins and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, who by His own blood obtained eternal redemption for us. Eternal life is a gift from God received by our exercise of faith. There is no salvation apart from a personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord.
5. Unity - We believe in and encourage the spiritual unity of all who believe in our Lord Jesus Christ. God blesses unity when His body works together. The New Testament speaks of the church as the Body of Christ which includes all of the redeemed of all the ages, believers from every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation.
6. Evangelism and Missions - We believe it is the duty and privilege of every follower of Christ and of every church of the Lord Jesus Christ to endeavor to make disciples of all nations, to include our own. The new birth of manís spirit by Godís Holy Spirit means the birth of a holy love for others. The Lord Jesus Christ has commanded the preaching of the gospel to all nations. It is the duty of every child of God to constantly seek to share Godís love with the lost and to share His saving grace by verbal witness built upon a Christian lifestyle, and by all other methods which are in harmony with the gospel of Christ.
7. Discipleship - Christianity is the faith of enlightenment and intelligence. We believe that in Jesus Christ abides all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. All sound learning is, therefore, a part of our Christian heritage. The new birth in Christ opens all human faculties and creates a thirst for His knowledge. In Godís Word we are called to love one another but also as Christians to hold each other accountable in love. Discipleship is a training up of believers to become more and more like our Lord Jesus Christ.
8. Stewardship - We believe God is the source of all blessings, temporal and spiritual; all that we possess and all of who we are, are from Him and belongs to Him. Because of this, we as Christians have an obligation to serve Him with our time, talents, gifts, and material possessions. We should recognize these as blessings entrusted to us by Him to use for His glory and for helping others. According to the Scriptures, Christians should contribute of themselves and their possessions cheerfully, regularly, systematically, proportionately, and liberally for the cause of Christ. We expect ourselves, and call on others, to use wisely the resources entrusted to us by God to advance the message of salvation and grace through acts of service that honor God.
9. The Family - We believe God has ordained the family as the foundational institution of human society. It is composed of persons related to one another by marriage, blood, or adoption. Marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in covenant commitment for a lifetime. It is Godís unique gift to reveal the union between Christ and His church and to provide for the man and woman in marriage the framework for intimate companionship, the channel of sexual expression according to biblical standards, and the means for procreation of the human race. The husband and wife are of equal worth before God, since both are created in Godís image. The marriage relationship models the way God relates to His people. Each has a different responsibility within the relationship and must submit to each other as Christians submit to each other, in love. Children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the Lord. Parents are to demonstrate to their children Godís pattern for marriage. Parents are to teach their children spiritual and moral values and to lead them, through consistent lifestyle example and loving discipline, to make choices based on biblical truth. Children are to honor and obey their parents.